Coping in Fragments of a Hologram Rose

What stuck with me most about William Gibson's short story, Fragments of a Hologram Rose, is the method of coping one is able to use within a world where sense-recordings exist. It is not particularly healthy to say the least. When the main character, Parker, has been broken up with by his girlfriend he immediately goes to his sense-recordings to cope with this. Sense-recordings are effectively allowing people in this world to dwell on their past even more so than they previously would or were able to and this makes it significantly harder for one to move on or grow. One could even become obsessive over this sort of thing and just live within their old memories and senses. This story actually reminded me a bit of the Black Mirror episode, "The Entire History of You". It is of course not exactly the same in it's premise but the technology in each is similar enough and the negative affect that these sorts of things could have on people is evident in both, though perhaps more strongly expressed in the Black Mirror episode. I very much enjoyed that episode and thus I also enjoy this story. I find the idea of technology that would enable certain sorts of coping mechanisms, good or bad, to be very fascinating - particularly with the bad coping mechanisms as their are already so many of those.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Escapism in Coraline

Annihilation and Anxiety

I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream is not what I expected