I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream is not what I expected

So for this week I read Harlan Ellison's I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream, and I must admit, I picked it solely for that title alone as it is just so darn relatable. I have no idea what I expected, or if I even had any expectations, but what I ready certainly wasn't it. It took me a second read through to completely comprehend the story, especially given that you start placed right within it without any context, and even then I'm not sure if I've grasped everything. At first I was not a huge fan of the story but rereading it and understanding the complexity of it all has made me appreciate it much more. It truly is a very dark and horrifying story when you get down to it. The idea of AI's taking over, set on destroying and/or enslaving the human race, isn't new by any mean but the way this story handles it - I'm not sure I've seen anything like it before. Almost any other time you see humans manipulated by technology in this way, it is generally at the hands of other human beings who are in control of the technology and not the computer itself. Even then, I don't know if I can recall ever seeing a story where technology has been able to not only mentally, but physically alter a human being. It really is a fascinating story and it's hard to formulate a cohesive thought process on it - the story seemed all over the place and thus my own thoughts on it are all over the place. Regardless, I ended up liking the story a lot more than I initially thought I would based on the first few paragraphs. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Escapism in Coraline

Annihilation and Anxiety