Assessment

1.What is your reaction to the text that you just read?

I actually read this story for this weeks reading so I will be elaborating on my feelings of it in a separate more in-depth blog post but long story short, it made me uncomfortable. It was good, but unsettling. The normalized oppression of the Tlic to the Terran becomes more and more obvious as the story goes on and it is upsetting to see our main character, Gan, go through a major realization of this and then yet still accept and even welcome his fate. The impression of love between these two characters when their unbalanced power dynamic is so evident is just uncomfortable for me as an audience member to read. It is even more uncomfortable given that T'Gatoi is much older than Gan by an undisclosed amount of years.

2. What connections did you make with this story that you just read? Discuss the elements of the work with which you were able to connect.

I couldn't personally connect with the story very much as it was clearly very based in normalized oppression and I don't feel as if I personally deal with that very much. Sure, I am a bisexual woman and we deal with our fair share of issues but this story didn't feel like it spoke to those particular problem very much. It, to me, clearly is speaking more towards racial oppression. The play with the power dynamic of men being the ones to generally give birth versus women was interesting, but again it didn't feel particularly relatable to me. Though, even while it wasn't a story that I was personally able to connect with on that other level, I still very much enjoyed it (though, as I said earlier, it does make me feel uncomfortable) and found it to be very interesting.

3. What changes would you make to adapt this story into a different medium? What medium would you use?

I would choose to adapt this story into a film. I don't think it would necessarily need many changes, aside from the fact that it would clearly need a lot more story to it to lengthen it and there would need to be more visual indications or spoken word of the power imbalance and oppression as in the short story most of that is realized internally in the protagonists mind. I think it would possibly even be more frightening to see this story take place on a film screen, given the fact that the Tlic's appearance seem to be very bug-like and is left quite vague so there could be some pretty creepy designs to play with. I don't think it would be any more effective than the short story but it would certainly be interesting to view and bring something new to the table.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Escapism in Coraline

Annihilation and Anxiety

I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream is not what I expected